Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Mission

Reading has always been something I've enjoyed. I have gone through many phases of genres; from adventure to chick lit to paranormal romance. I kept reading and reading, but realized I haven't really read any of the classic literature books. I've read a few of them in school and never got to appreciate them since I had to read them. Now I'm done with school and I'm free to read what I want, when I want, and go figure, I actually want to write book reports on the books I read.

The mission: 51 books of classic literature, some I've read before, others I've heard of and have wanted to read, and a select few that I dread reading but feel as though I must (I'll save them for the end.) After I've finished a book, I will write up a post on how/what I felt about it. I'm no scholar or English major; just a 24 year old girl who wants to read.

Below is a list of the books I'm setting out to read. They're in no particular order:

-->
1. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
2. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
3. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
4. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
5. Dracula – Bram Stoker
6. The Iliad & The Odyssey– Homer
7. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
8. The Prince – Niccolo Machiavelli
9. Through the Looking-Glass – Lewis Carroll
10 The Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
11. War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy
12. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain
13. Frankenstein – Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
14. A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
15. Moby Dick – Herman Melville
16. Grimms Fairy Tales – Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm
17. Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
18. Les Miserables – Victor Hugo
19. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
20. Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
21. Lord of the Rings – JRR Tolkein
22. The Hobbit – JRR Tolkein
23. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
24. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams
25. The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas
26. Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
27. All Quiet on the Western Front – Erich Remarque
28. Crash – JG Ballard
29. Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
30. Dr Zhivago – Boris Pasternak
31. The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde – Robert Louis Stevenson
32. Gulliver’s Travels – Jonathan Swift
33. Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov
34. The Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger
35. The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
36. The Great Gatsby – F Scott Fitzgerald
37. Atonement – Ian McEwan
38. Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
39. 1984 – George Orwell
40. Robinson Crusoe – Daniel Defoe
41. Don Quixote – Miguel de Cervantes
42. David Copperfield
43. Gone with the Wind – Margaret Mitchell
44. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe – CS Lewis
45. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
46. Lord of the Flies – William Golding
47. Animal Farm – George Orwell
48. Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
59. The Pearl – John Steinbeck
50. Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson
51. Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradburty
52.The Giver - Lois Lowry

1 comment:

  1. I'll find and give you your Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy back. :)

    ReplyDelete