Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Book 7: Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

Start Date: October 19, 2011
End Date: November 17, 2011

Gah. I hated this book. It was torture to read. From the first chapter I had no idea what was going on. I had to finally use Wikipedia to get a grasp on what was going on. I think my main confusion were the names. Lots of re-used names: Heathcliff, Catherine Earnshaw, Edgar Linton, Cathy Linton, Linton Heathcliff. Also, they'd call the same character by 2 different names : Earnshaw/Hareton, Mr. Linton/Linton/Edgar. I couldn't keep up. The only time I finally figured everyone out was when half of the characters were already dead.

Another weird/gross part about this book was that cousins were marrying each other. I'm not sure if this was common back in the day? Cathy married Hareton and Linton, who were both her cousins....all the while the parents all hated each other.

This book seems like it was the mold for current day TV drama. Drama with the parents, drama with the children, drama all around. Everyone hated each other and was rude and selfish. They needed to get out more.

I hate Heathcliff. I think his character is horrible. I hate how at the end within the last couple pages he's not so evil anymore, almost like he's trying to redeem himself. Could just be that he was going crazy from seeing the ghost of Catherine? But I didn't care. I hated him already. He was the center of why everyone's life turned to shit.

And peoples moods in this book go from zero to WTF in 1.2 seconds. They love each other, they hate each other. She wants to go outside, she wants to stay inside. He wants to marry her, she wants to kill him. Cathy and Linton seemed like they were Romeo and Juliet, lovers torn apart because their fathers hated each other. They saw each other in secret, wrote each other love letters...then what happens when they finally are allowed to see each other? He turns out to be a prick and aids in the kidnapping of Cathy and Nelly so Cathy has to marry him. After he's an asshole until he dies. Good riddance. Next, Hareton and Cathy spent the whole half of the book hating each other. Why in the heck did she all of the sudden want to apologize and befriend this boy who she spent her whole life mocking and teasing because he was stupid? People don't change that fast.

All in all I really didn't like reading this book. I couldn't wait to be done with it, but it was so hard for me to read that it was torture. I contemplated giving up and not finishing it, but alas, my reading journey had to go on. I'm very happy I'm done with the book. I don't even want to watch any movie that was made. SO over it.


No comments:

Post a Comment